moron n : a person of subnormal intelligence [syn: idiot, imbecile, cretin, changeling, half-wit, retard]
EtymologyFrom Greek mōros 'foolish'.
- A person of borderline intelligence in the former classification of mental retardation, having of an intelligence quotient of 50-69.
- A person who makes uncool, unfunny, uninteresting, or irrelevant (see lame) attempts to impress others and draw attention to himself, especially in a flawed attempt to act like someone else.
Usage notesThough originally a psychological, clinical, and medical term, it is currently used as a pejorative term against someone of low intelligence, or even as just a general pejorative. Current term for having an IQ between 50 and 69 is mild mental retardation.
a person of borderline intelligence
- Dutch: idioot, mongol
- Finnish: lievästi kehitysvammainen
- Hungarian: gyengeelméjű
a person who makes uncool attempts to impress others
- Dutch: mogool, mongol
- Finnish: hölmö, tollo
- Hungarian: hülye
- ttbc Danish: sinke (1), åndssvag person (1)
- ttbc German: Schwachkopf , Trottel , Depp
- ttbc Greek: (2) μωρός (moros) , (1,2) ηλίθιος (ilithios) , (2) βλάκας (vlakas) , (1) διανοητικά καθυστερημένος (dianoitika kathisterimenos) , (2) άσχετος (askhetos)
- ttbc Interlingua: imbecille, idiota
- ttbc Italian: cretino , deficiente , idiota , imbecille , stupido
- ttbc Korean: 바보 (babo) (1,2)
- ttbc Portuguese: retardado , débil mental , , imbecil , , idiota ,
- ttbc Romanian: retardat , retardată , tâmpit , tâmpită , imbecil , imbecilă , idiot , idioată
- ttbc Spanish: subnormal , ,retrasado ,retardado , débil mental , , imbecil , , idiota , ,baboso
Moron may refer to:
- Moron (psychology), a person with a mental age between 8 and 12
- "Moron" (Sum 41 song)
- "Moron" (KMFDM song)
- Moron, a later Jaredite king in the Book of Mormon
- Moron (bacteriophage) is a segment of DNA inserted between two genes in a phage genome that are not present in the genome of closely related phages and are usually helpful but not necessary for the bacterium host http://www.asm.org/division/M/blurbs/glossary/lexicon.html#Mhttp://scienceblogs.com/erv/2008/06/repost_morons_in_microbiology.php.
Buenos Aires in Argentina
- Morón Partido, a county in Morón, Buenos Aires
- Morón, Cuba, a city and municipality in Ciego de Ávila Province, Cuba
- Mörön (city), the capital of Khövsgöl province, Mongolia
- Mörön, Khentii, a district in Khentii province, Mongolia
- Morón, Spain
- Morón, Venezuela, a location in Carabobo State, Venezuela
moron in German: Morón
moron in Spanish: Morón
moron in Dutch: Morón
moron in Swedish: Mörön